Thursday, November 6, 2008

Of rocks and water......

From my watercolor sketch book.....





When does rock surrender to water,

I need to know, to teach my daughter.

Does constant flow of rippling streams,

Convince the stone to open seams,

Until the seams become a crack,

And then a chasm back to back.

So which is stronger would you say,

The canyon walls or waterway,

That curves and carves its way to sea.

The solid rock gives quietly.

The years of constant wearing drip,

Swirling current on rocky ship,

Where solid bow and stern must shift.

Against the frothy churn neath cliff.

I bow to water’s liquid ways,

The sparkling wave of sunny days,

That catch the light and sing their song,

Smooth stones beneath in polished throng.

The elements of brook and stone,

Each have a strength to call their own.

Majestic jut of basalt walls,

Are only there when river calls.

Repeated rush round river’s bend,

Becomes the crash of currents blend…

Of froth and foam that’s dashing wild,

Creating cliffs that so beguile.

We cannot choose that which is the best,

The stream with fish, the cliff with nest.

We simply marvel at the scene,

The canyon’s peace, the water’s gleam.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Oh I LOVE seeing and reading your beautiful work!!!

Holly said...

That top one is my favorite. It's absolutely stunning.

jen meillier said...

Joye,
The smoothed out rocks in your top painting played a very important part in a dream I had, and some work from that dream. Thank you for sharing this, it obviously touched me deeply.
jen