Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Friendship garden!

One of the most rewarding parts of any garden I've ever had is the friendship garden....and everywhere I go I collect little pieces of my friends' gardens and transplant to mine. A snippet of this and a start of that from friends have been planted in many of my gardens. It's like having them with you always. The white peony reminds me of Judy and her big colonial house in Idaho, the Bergenia's heart shaped leaves remind me of Aunt B, the Columbine reminds me of Colorado and the chicken and hens will always be a memory of Mom's garden. I had an English neighbor in Colorado with a total gardener's heart. Julia and I talked over the fence almost everyday and soon "bits and bobs" of my garden made their way to her house and daylilies and iris from her yard were planted in mine. A special friend was her mother-in-law that lived across the street who walked by everyday and we got acquainted as she took a rest and chatted while I worked in my front yard. One day she invited me to come across the street and see her miniature doll house collection. It filled an entire room and she had made fantastic little items that were encased in tiny little rooms. Then, she snipped off a piece of her orchid cactus with a simple hand gesture and gave it to me. Her smile was a little shy, her 80 plus years of wisdom delightful....and we became friends. The orchid cactus came with me and thrives in a tall basket in the window here in Oregon. Thank you Jean for your friendship.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I want you to take from my garden!

Joye Lisk said...

It would be my pleasure....and you from mine (when I have one again.)