Friday, November 14, 2008

Grandpa Bolles could have said this......

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican. " ~H.L. Mencken

Most family events as I grew up were accompanied by heated political discussion, remarks and all out shouting matches with his brothers and sisters. Although many of the arguments were not logical or factual...nevertheless, they were lively. Mom, on the other hand, just stayed out in the kitchen and cooked, trying to stay out of their way. I could hear him dancing in heaven at the results of the last election.
I think I took after Mom at Thanksgiving time....making sure the cranberry salad was not left in the refrigerator by mistake, and the turkey was stuffed with sage dressing, apples, onions and parsley. As they got older, the discussions were gentle...shall we draw names for Christmas, how many kids would participate in the "fish pond" fracas and who will make Aunt B's Watergate salad or Grandma's plum pudding? Although my ears love a good hearted discussion of politics....pundits be damned....pass the turkey!





4 comments:

matt said...

in one of my last discussions with Grandpa Bill, he blurted out, "We have a President who takes our surplus and funds his own private war with it!"

I could not have possibly disagreed with him more but I smiled, nodded and replied, "You aren't the only one who feels that way . . ."

His friendship meant so much to me that I never wanted politics to come between us.

Of course, I also knew I would NEVER change the old coot's mind! ;-)

He is truly missed.

Holly said...

I really regret not getting a photo of Matt and Grandpa the last time we saw him ( two weeks before he died ). LOVE the photo of Grandpa & Grandma beyond the candles.

And I agree, pass the turkey!! You turkey!

Anonymous said...

MOM...I can imagine Grandpa saying the quote on your blog almost word for word. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't view the world and politics with such a polarizing glasses. Labels (Republican, Democrat, Muslim, Black, White etc...) only promote more polarization. One of my favorite people in the world recently said this.

GEN. POWELL: I'm an American, first and foremost.

He is a republican but endorsed Obama. Which camp would have grandpa put him in? I am most excited about Obama becasue he isn't the democrats president. He is our American President. Just a thought.

Scott

Joye Lisk said...

Scott....couldn't agree more about polarizing labels...it separates us into imprisoning boxes. Mom