Friday, December 5, 2008

Growing as a family.....seeing one another's reality.

Yawn! It took a nap or two to compensate for the three hour time difference between Kentucky and Beaverton. I can never sleep on lay-overs in the airport....people watching is way too interesting.....and I can never sleep on the plane for fear my head will bob over on the sardine packed in next to me.....or worse yet, I will be seen slack-jawed in public with mouth wide open catching a few Zzzzzzzzzzzzs. So, I'm catching up on my beauty sleep!



Over the two week wonderful visit to see Scott, Shannon Mason and Mitchell, I wondered if children ever see their parents as real human beings....or through the lens of childhood experiences and expectations. I know it took me a loooooong time to see my own parents as real human beings with needs, experiences, hopes and dreams of their own, separate from what I thought they should be. Perhaps the reverse is true.....do parents ever see their children as real human beings separate from themselves....competent, talented, successful, loving human beings who contribute to society without your help. They don't need Mom's input anymore. Somehow in the journey we take together, we learn to know each other well....honoring the individual path, loving the memories and making more as time goes on. Family is such a schoolroom for life.....teachers and students abound!

No comments: