Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Autumn treasure hunt.

This day is a fine October day for a treasure hunt....unexpectedly beautiful. Flaming reds, golden yellows, burnt oranges...the autumn leaves are spectacular. "Look at me," they are saying. "You took me for granted all summer, sat beneath my shady branches without taking any notice. So, now, before I take a long winter's nap, you must see the beauty I possess...you must pay attention."

Oh, my, I am listening to trees again. Today I will go to the park to gather leaves, my yearly treasure hunt to find the brightest, most colorful collection of all sizes and shapes. I will lay them out on the table this evening, use them for a placemat to dine upon. With candles glowing and the pungent aroma of birch, oak, maple and sweet gum leaves tickling my nose, I will feast and notice how beautiful trees are. My senses are heightened...I trace the shapes with my fingertips, rounded edges, serrated curves, lacy patterns... I am paying attention. Closing my eyes I remember hiding in a huge pile of leaves and jumping out to scare my Mom, who was duly frightened and chased me with her rake. Brother stuffed leaves down my shirt. And, once I covered my playhouse floor with them....a carpet that had no competetion for delight.

My collection of leaves has decorated mud pies, and been pressed dry between the pages of a book and framed so I could remember what they looked like during a long, frozen Minnesota winter, until spring brought the leaves back again. I giggle at the memory of insisting my grandsons get out of the car on their way to school to stand under a golden locust tree, the sun adding to its brilliance. We stood together, circling the tree, holding hands and looking up through the pattern of sparkling golden leaves. School could wait while we honored the request of this tree, "Look at me....see my beauty....be a part of me."

Today I will notice, and collect those leaves once again from the skyward branches before the winds of winter scatter them and cover them with a blanket of snow. Today I will lean against the trunk of a mighty oak and dance with the falling leaves, knowing that life is worth noticing, gathering up its treasures and living fully.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Truly Beautiful!!

Pamela Goodwin said...

Thanks for your reminder about what purpose fallen leaves can play ~ silly me, I'd almost forgotten the mulch angle ~ my new wisteria plant thanks you, Joye.

Life is good, isn't it?1