Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Returning to winter!


Oh my goodness! I traveled from 65 degrees in North Carolina to Chicago where there was a blizzard and lots of time on the tarmac getting de-iced so the plane to take off for a four hour flight back to Portland. Yikes! At 1:00 a.m. I got home to my own bed and this morning woke up to a foggy winter morning.....here's the scoop!

Winter is like an old woman that has stayed too long in bed and is rumpled and dissheveled….with mushy edges that define her frumpiness. Her pallor is a lighter shade of cool outlining branches that look like wrinkles on her forehead. Her foggy web needs to be brushed away from her face and pinned up into neat clouds that float against the sky. How weary she is in these shortened days….longing for color, lush green and flowering hillsides. The ice picks at her bones and hangs from her skeleton…undernourished by the sun. The wind strokes her behind…blowing up her skirt and freezing her inner warmth. From a platinum dawn to a charcoal dusk, the shafts of winter mist are awash with silver ice that drip their tears from rooflines. The cut glass hangs and twists from the eaves threatening to stab the cat curled up in the wicker chair left over from summer. Ahhhhh…..summer…I have not weaned myself from you.




1 comment:

jen meillier said...

This poem tickles me to no end, even though I'm one of those strange lovers of winter.
If you need help weaning from summer, come to Kansas and enjoy a few of those 109 degrees---days on end---spells...that may help!:)
jen